Because the Grand Rapids Campus of Northpoint Bible College is a Christian college, does that mean I can’t take a Federal tax deduction?

You’ll want to check with your tax professional. However, under normal circumstances, the cost of tuition and other college related costs are tax deductible in the same way they would be from any other college or university.

Will I be able to take advantage of Federal financial aid programs such as Pell Grants and Stafford Loans?

Yes. The Association of Biblical Higher Education, our accrediting body, is recognized by the Federal government. This allows students to access any and all traditional Federal financial aid programs.

How much is it?

Costs will vary depending on availability of Financial Aid, number of credits, etc. However, the basic tuition cost is $250 per credit hour. That is less than half of most other similar colleges.


Do I need to be part of a particular denomination to attend Northpoint-GR?

No. While the Grand Rapids Campus of Northpoint Bible College is associated with the Assemblies of God, we welcome students who worship and serve other evangelical denominations and movements.

Is housing available?

Northpoint-GR does have a limited number of host families available. There is a minor cost associated with this option and it’s on a first-come, first-served basis.

Will credit earned at Northpoint-GR transfer to other colleges?

Northpoint’s accreditation with the ABHE meets the federal standard for transfer of credit between all CHEA accredited colleges and universities. That includes all private and state accredited institutions. Please note that any institution has the option to decline credits from any other. Therefore, we always recommend a conversation with your destination school to ensure credit portability. However, the Department of Education and CHEA’s formal counsel is that “users of accreditation . . . give careful attention to the accreditation conferred by accrediting bodies recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) and the U.S. Department of Education. Both have a formal process that requires that all recognized accrediting bodies meet the same standards.” Students and graduates from Northpoint have successfully transferred and/or entered graduate programs at: Western Michigan University, Wayne State University, Spring Arbor University, Evangel University, Princeton, Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary, Grand Rapids Theological Seminary, and many others. For further information, please see the Department of Education and CHEA’s joint statement on transfer of credit HERE.

What does the average student look like at the Grand Rapids Campus of Northpoint?

That’s impossible to say. We have students that range from traditional freshmen to experienced professionals, from rural to urban backgrounds, and from all different ethnicities.

Is the Grand Rapids Campus of Northpoint Bible College accredited?

Yes. Northpoint Bible College is accredited through the Association of Biblical Higher Education (ABHE). The ABHE is a recognized Council for Higher Education Accreditation accreditor who serves in partnership with the Department of Education. This allows students to gain access to Pell Grants and other forms of FAFSA. It also helps  ensure transferability of credits. We always recommend a conversation with the destination institution you plan on attending for any specific policies, exceptions, or exclusions that would make transfer of credit challenging.

Can I stay involved or get involved at my home church or another ministry?

Absolutely. We have world-class leaders in almost any area we would love to connect you with. The Lord may have already put that perfect person in your life. That’s great. We would love for you to spend time with them and we’ll be happy to provide some suggestions to help make your time as helpful and effective as possible. Just ask.

Will completing this Degree allow me to be a Pastor, Evangelist, etc.?

Completing the Ministry Leadership Degree does fulfill the education requirement for obtaining Certified Minister’s credentials with the Assemblies of God. Please be aware that there is more to the process. Interviews and other criteria are taken into consideration. For more information on this issue, please contact the Michigan District of the Assemblies of God at www.aogmi.org.

Can I still work and go to school?

Yes. Our class schedules are oriented to allow you maximum flexibility for work and ministry.

Will I be required to be involved in ministry while attending college?

No. It is highly encouraged though. Being involved in practical ministry while getting an educational foundation allows a process of question and answer between theology and practice to take place. This makes the classroom more meaningful and ministry more thoughtful and purposeful.

How much homework should I expect?

The rule of thumb for accredited college work is to expect two hours of outside reading and work for every one hour of time in class. For example, for a three credit hour class, expect to spend three hours in class and six hours outside of class per week.

Can I get credit for life experience?

We of course can’t answer that without some further information. However, if you have over a decade of ministry or other qualifying life experience it is likely. In some circumstances we can offer you up to 15 credits for life experiences.

Can I take a tour of the college?

No problem. Just contact the school at 616.988.5531 or email kristing@grandrapidsfirst.org and we’ll be glad to make an appointment.

If I have already attended College, can I transfer credits into the Ministry Leadership Degree?

Yes. If the college you attend was of at least equal accreditation status, we will be happy to apply any course work you have done that fulfills requirements in the Ministry Leadership Degree. You must have earned at least a ‘C’ and it must have covered the same material as one of the courses in our degree.